Recipes & Menu Ideas
3/4 pound shallots, halved lengthwise and peeled
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups beef broth
3/4 cup port wine
1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 pounds beef tenderloin roast, trimmed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 slices bacon, diced
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
4 sprigs watercress, for garnish
2. In a large saucepan, combine beef broth and port. Bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until the volume is reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste. Set aside.
3. Pat beef dry; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. In a large roasting pan, set over medium heat on the stove top, saute bacon until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all sides over medium high heat, about 7 minutes.
4. Transfer pan to oven. Roast beef until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 125 degrees F (50 degrees C) for medium rare, about 25 minutes. Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with foil.
5. Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place pan over high heat on stove top. Add broth mixture, and bring to boil; stir to scrape up any brow ned bits. Transfer to a medium saucepan, and bring to simmer. Mix 1 1/2 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth mixture, and simmer until sauce thickens. Whisk in remaining butter. Stir in roasted shallots and reserved bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Cut beef into 1/2 inch thick slices. Spoon some sauce over, and garnish with watercress.
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 35 mins. | Cook Time: 45 mins.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 653 | Total Fat: 50.6g | Cholesterol: 132mg
6 tablespoons chopped onion
4 tablespoons margarine
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
2. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.
Servings: 8 | Prep Time: 20 mins. | Cook Time: 30 mins. Amount Per Serving Calories: 397 | Total Fat: 33.4g | Cholesterol: 83mg
1 tablespoons peanut butter
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 banana, sliced
2. Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
3. Place banana slices onto the peanut buttered side of one slice, top with the other slice and press together firmly.
4. Fry the sandwich until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side.
Servings: 1 | Prep Time: 2 mins. | Cook Time: 4 mins.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 442 | Total Fat: 19.6g | Cholesterol: 0mg